Thursday, March 8, 2012

Meals on Wheels - Cheese Me



Price: $$$$
Atmosphere: Depends on the location
Quality of Service: 4 out of 5
Food Overall: 3 out of 5

On our recent trip to Bedner’s, the wife and I chose to check out the Cheese Me (http://www.cheeseme.com/ ) truck for our vittles decision. As she’s pregnant, her main craving has been grilled cheese, any which way. So, it made sense that she flocked directly towards this mobile restaurant.

The guys working inside were incredibly friendly and eager to serve you. Of course, when you pay $30.00 for two grilled cheese sandwiches and two cokes, you expect top dollar service. I also decided to try their ‘Truffle Waffle Fries’, as I am a huge fan of truffles, yet I just find better things to spend my money on than truffle oil. You, know, like rent.


For those of you unfamiliar with truffle oil, it is extremely potent, very fragrant, and oh-so-yummy. It’s also about $20.00 for 2.5 oz. of the stuff. So, when I ordered the $6.00 side and only about 8 waffle fries showed up in a little basket, well, it sort of made sense.

I’ll tell you what though: These things were delicious. That truffle flavor was infused in every bite of these crispy, hot fries. It really started the meal off right.


Now, the Sammies: First, let’s review my option: The McShane. This was pulled pork, homemade coleslaw and vintage cheddar, all nicely griddled between two pieces of garlic Texas toast. It was very good, very creamy and extremely rich. There is some sort of creamy sauce on it as well (I think it was mayo), and there was quite a bit of it. A little less of the mayo concoction and this would have made it just a bit more satisfying. But still: Great grilled cheese.


My wife’s choice: The Cheese Us Kryst. This was two pieces of sourdough bread, and in between was provolone, cheddar, mozzarella and American cheeses. This was, quite possibly, the best grilled cheese I’ve ever eaten.

What makes it so good is that despite its intimidating cheese overload factor, it doesn’t show in the actual taste. Oh yes, it’s VERY cheesy, but you don’t get that heavy ‘Ugh, I just ate four cheeses fried on buttered bread’ feeling. It had a…daintiness to it, if you will.

If this truck passes down our way again, I’d definitely stop in for a nosh. It brings you back to that simple time when a good grilled cheese fixed everything, but it also brings some grown up to the party to remind you that, “Hey, it’s life but it’ll be ok. Here, have a sammich.”

After all, it’s just Da(m)n Good Food.

No comments:

Post a Comment