Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Authentic Brooklyn Pizza

Price: Cheap
Atmosphere: 1 out of 5
Quality of Service: 3 out of 5
Food Overall: 2 out of 5

So the missus and I decided to try out this new pizza joint, right next door to one of our favorite BBQ spots (Red’s Backwoods…review to come later). We had a Groupon for it, so it never hurts to try something new. Especially since I’m here to provide you folks with the low down on the up-and-up.
However, this is probably one you don’t need to rush out and try. We went fairly simple the first go ‘round: House Salad and a large pie. The salad was your every day iceberg and typical veggies (cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, onions…you know) with your typical creamy Italian. Nothing special.
I will say it was a decent size (we got the large for two), but that’s like saying, “Yeah. It’s just Vanilla, but it’s two gallons of it.” For the pizza, we ordered ½ with eggplant and ½ with prosciutto.  The first thing my fiancée said was: “This isn’t New York pizza. If it was, I could pick it up and fold it. This is floppy.”
As she’s from NY, I tend to trust her judgment.  But, body’s not everything when it comes to a slice, so I dig in. The cheese is gooey enough, and the prosciutto is salty, but not overly flavorful. The body itself is indeed soggy; perhaps too thin. But the sauce is my issue here.
It’s sweet.  And not that ‘Hmm…it has a unique sweetness to it’ sweet. This was ‘I bought a jar of Prego on the way in to work and served it to paying customers’ sweet. It tasted store bought, and in case you couldn’t figure it out, that’s never good at a place that claims authenticity.
It was cheap enough (huge salad and large pie with two toppings, plus drinks, and we didn’t even use our full 24.00 Groupon), but again, I refer you to the ‘Vanilla’ comment above. The atmosphere isn’t worth mentioning either; simply some booths, tables; a small TV in the corner…a touch dingy.
But after all that, was it terrible? No. It was ok. I didn’t spit it out or hate it. That being said, would I drive out of my way to go again? No. But if I was in the area, and craved pizza (and Red’s was closed), would I pop in for a slice and a Coke? Maybe.  The service was good and the wife did state the eggplant was cooked nicely.
It’s food, for sure. Just not Da(m)n Good Food.

Authentic Brooklyn Pizza
1365 W Palmetto Park Road
Boca Raton, Fl 33486
(561) 342-1915
http://mypizza.com/restaurant/menu/399-authentic-brooklyn-pizza?gclid=CN7l9Y3A3agCFcPt7QodjjiocQ

No comments:

Post a Comment