Friday, February 17, 2012

Georgia On My Mind – Big Pie In The Sky Pizzeria



Price: $
Atmosphere: 3 out of 5
Quality of Service: 3 out of 5
Food Overall: 4 out of 5

Every once in a while, you get hungry. Ok, well, it’s probably more than ‘every once in a while’. But I don’t mean that ‘I think I should eat something because I feel faint’ hungry. I mean the ‘I require the sacrifice of several animals and wheels of cheese to satiate my enormous appetite’ hungry. Welcome to Big Pie in the Sky Pizzeria.

A co-worker brought me here after a conversation that I was a foodie and had a blog about the places I visited. She also mentioned that this was one of the spots featured on the popular cable TV show ‘Man vs. Food’, where the host tried the Carnivore Challenge. He didn’t finish it. And now, I know why.

First off, this is a little joint tucked inside an otherwise empty shopping plaza. It’s a tiny restaurant, but it is booming with customers. Their daily special is a slice with any two toppings and a fountain soda for $5.00. Good deal, but most hearty folks would say ‘Yeah, but just one slice?’ My friend, you don’t even need that much at Big Pie.

Living up to its namesake, this was the biggest slice of pizza I’ve ever seen in my life. I decided to take a tiny step in Adam Richman’s footsteps and try a slice of the Carnivore pizza. This slice was served to me on a medium pizza tin, and was the length of two butter knives.

When I picked it up to fold in half (as it was so topping heavy, you had to fold it or you’d lose all the meaty goodness), it resembled an overstuffed burrito in its sheer girth. It was intimidating to be sure, but I finished the entire slice.

Not as a goal, or some claim to fame, but because it was that good. The sauce was light, with a nice homegrown tomato flavor. It wasn’t bogged down by herbs or hidden by unnecessary flavors. Simple but delicious. A nice, crispy crust surrounded my vessel of flavor. The cheese was layered thick, and perfectly gooey, but did not overpower the sauce or the toppings.

Oh yeah…the toppings. For the Carnivore, it’s topped VERY GENEROUSLY with the following dead species: Pepperoni (nicely spicy), Ground Beef (and a ton of it), Italian Sausage (great notes of fennel and sage), Ham (good, salty cuts) and Bacon (no more needs to be said about the wonder meat).

This was absolutely the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever eaten, and I’ve had a 1lb. burger in Vegas. Why? Because after the lunch in Vegas, I walked around and later had dinner. I ate this slice of pizza at lunch and didn’t eat until dinner. The NEXT night. I was that full. It was an amazing slice, and I’d definitely go back. Next time though, I may split a piece with a small village.

From the flavors to the atmosphere to just the good times with friends, this is a great please to store up for the winter before you hibernate.

After all…it’s just Da(m)n Good Food.

Big Pie In The Sky Pizzeria
2090 Baker Rd NW Suite#A103
Kennesaw, GA. 30144
770-420-8883
http://www.bigpieinthesky.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment