Friday, November 4, 2011

Under the Sea in Orlando, FL - Flipper's Pizzeria


Price: Affordable
Atmosphere: 2 out of 5
Quality of Service: 3 out of 5
Food Overall: 3 out of 5

Our first food stop on a recent trip to Orlando, Flipper's Pizzeria is no doubt a chain restaurant. I mention this because, if you share my wife's opinion, you're not real big on chain eateries. I'm not sure why; the logic has never been explained to me.

Now don't get me wrong: I'm a big fan of unique, 'there's only one of these' type places. It's kind of special, like 'This is MY place, and I found it." However, there's an appreciation I share with most Americans on the chain/franchise restaurant.

It's convienient. It's cheap. And best of all, there's usually one 5 minutes away in any direction. Now I'd never been to Flipper's before, but they are apparently popular in the Orlando area, and we were walking around Old Town killing time until we could check into the timeshare.

Pizza sounded good, as it often does when the mood strikes, so we gave it a shot. To be honest, it was a very good pizza. Was it unique? No, not particularly. Was it comparable to an Anthony's Coal Fire or Amore? Don't think so. But that being said, it was quite delicious.

We ordered a medium pie with baby bella mushrooms and 1/2 with smoked bacon. The sauce is always key in any pie, and here it didn't disappoint. It was a little sweeter than I'm used to (this happens with chains), but it did have strong notes of basil and oregano which toned down the sweet factor quite a bit.

The mushrooms were interesting, as I usually cook with them, but never see baby bellas at your everyday pizza joint (hell, not even at some of the 'stand alones'). They provided a subtle earthiness to the meal, which was a welcome change from teh norm.

The bacon was indeed as described: Smoked. You really got that bite in the pork, and it was crisped up for a great crunch in each chomp. And sitting outside enjoying the fall weather with a good pie, a great woman, and a vacation to boot? Well it doesn't get better than that, friends.

I was pleasantly surprised by this place, and I think you will be too. They offer your typical pizzeria/bar type food as well, if you're not feeling a pie: Wings, calzones, salads. Give it a try if you're out that way.

After all, it's just Da(m)n Good Food.

Flipper's Pizzeria
5770 W. Highway 192
Kissimmee, FL 34746
(407) 397-9509
http://flipperspizzeria.com/Locations/OldTownCelebration/tabid/107/Default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment