Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Relish

Price: $$$
Atmosphere: 4 out of 5
Quality of Service: 5 out of 5
Food Overall: 5 out of 5

The word ‘relish’ in the Merriam-Webster dictionary is defined as “Enjoyment of or delight in something that satisfies one’s tastes, inclinations or desires.”  The gourmet burger joint Relish in West Palm Beach, FL is defined as…well, the exact same thing, really.

I had first learned of this place when a few of my friends on a popular social network were ‘liking’ the page of this eatery. I checked out their website and was intrigued by the innovative menu, so I grabbed the wife and trekked out there.

I say trekked because for us, it’s a 45 minute drive in low traffic. I mention the traffic here not as a means to deter you, but to amplify a point: I don’t drive 45 for WORK, let alone for lunch. However, I’d gladly add another 45 minutes to that time clock just to visit Relish again. THAT. GOOD.

A word of advice: If you plan of going, hit up their website first. They have so many choices and combinations that it will take you a bit to decide what you want. Basically, you get your choice of meat (ranging from good ol’ American ground beef to Lobster. Yes. Lobster.), choose a ‘relish’ (these flavor dynamos run the gamut from an artichoke and spinach spread to teriyaki pineapple sauce), and if you like they have various handmade sides, like sweet potato fries or polenta fingers (all with your choice of 4 different salt combinations!).

Throw in a unique shake and you’re in for a ride to TastyVille, my friend. But I think it’s time we got into the review before I salivate all over my laptop…



Ah, the milkshake. Truly a holy trinity staple (Burger-Fry-Shake), Relish is doing these up fresh-to-order and they’re doing them big. This is the Salted Caramel shake, and that wedge on top? It’s a 4 oz. piece of actual salted caramel, kind of brittle-like in texture, and love-like in flavor.

The shake was creamy and rich, but not so that it ruined your meal by filling you up too quickly (of course, I did split it with my wife). It was absolutely fabulous. They have several other flavors to choose from, like Espresso Bean or Cracker Jack, and I’m looking forward to a new selection on my next visit.



This was my wife’s burger: Ground Beef with Drunken Onions (sweet onions sautéed in beer). This was one of the juiciest burgers I’ve ever had. It was magnificent in its simplicity. You got some salt and pepper, and a good crust on the burger, but really they let the meat shine through.

The onions had that distinct beer taste, almost stout-esque in flavor. However, the beer taste still allowed for the sweetness of the veggie to come through first and foremost. These guys have it down to a science.

The fries are almost like shoestring style, with sea salt. Crispy and fresh cut, with the tender middle and crunchy outside, just like a quality fry should be.



And now, the showstopper: Wild Boar burger topped with brie and blackberry compote. Good. Frakkin. Night. This was just a collision of tastes that took me a minute to think on, but I am so glad I ended up here.

First, the boar: I’d never had it before today, and I was expecting a similar flavor to pork. Not true. It’s really very comparable to beef flavor-wise, with a touch of game to it, but not offensively so. I was juicy and had an sort of ‘leanness’ to it. Delicious.

The brie was the perfect complement to this burger; sharp and pulling up that boar taste to new horizons. And the blackberry compote was tart and sweet enough to mellow everything out and put it all on a level playing field. It’s mana on a bun. Speaking of which, the bun is toasted so that the edges just get a char to them, adding yet ANOTHER flavor profile to your sandwich.

The sweet potato fries, like the regular fries, were crispy and perfectly cooked, and were picked at the right time for that sweet flavor to come through. I accompanied mine with the garlic salt to knock the sweet back a notch, and it worked out beautifully.

They also have desserts, like a DIY S’mores Kit, but by the time we were finished, we were stuffed. In fact, we really didn’t eat dinner that night. Throw in a nice little atmosphere and service with personality and you’ve got a burger joint well worth the drive, no matter where you are.

After all….it’s just Da(m)n Good Food.

Relish
401 Northwood Road
West Palm Beach, FL 33407 
(561) 629-5377
http://www.relishburger.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment